(serves 2 as a main course or 4 - 6 as a side dish)
- 1 1/2 cups bulgur
- 3 cups water
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, halved and sliced
- 3/4 cup celeriac, match-sticked
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup cubed smoked gouda (or smoked, firm tofu)
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- pumpkin seeds, hulled
- bunch of fresh flat parsley
- red chili flakes
- olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot. Add onion and a healthy pinch of red chili flakes.
- Cook until softened and then add garlic. Continue to cook until onion is browned.
- Add carrot and water. Bring to a rolling boil.
- Pour in bulgur and mix. Lower heat to a simmer.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until liquid is gone.
- Remove from heat and let sit for a few minutes. Then, transfer to another container to speed up the cooling process.
- While grains cool, dice tomatoes, discarding the liquid and seeds.
- Skin and matchstick celeriac, chop parsley and cube cheese.
- Fold all ingredients into bulgur once it is no longer hot. Salt. Sprinkle liberally with pumpkin seeds and mix again.
- Dress with half a lemon and either serve or refrigerate. This is a dish that can be made the night before if you'd like.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil before serving (optional).
Check out all of our recipes.