25 September 2010

Bar of Bouillon

We stopped at this amazing bar/cafe in Bouillon after wandering around the castle and watching a falconry show. It was raining, and we didn't want to walk down to the main part of town, so we ducked in for a bit.
It was a cool old place, with a nice woman running it. We got some beer and some pumpkin soup and sat at one of the big tables. In the background of this picture, you can see firewood stacked against one of the back walls. There were two woodstoves in the place, one of which was going.
The really interesting thing about this place, to me, was the mural-work on the walls. Someone, sometime, painted these scenes of debauchery on the panels between the windows and above the rough wood.
They were quite well done, for what they were, but they were really great because they were so faded and smoke-stained.
Some of them were covered up by other things - wood was stacked against one of them, this one was partially covered by a refrigerator. We wondered why the sign, here, was in English when the clientele were all decidedly local. Probably, we decided, because the regulars know not to go into the fridge.
How incongruous: MTV playing on the television. The old guy in the bottom left of the picture didn't move much - or say anything - the whole time we were there. The beer advertised - Godefroy - is the local brew. Godefroy was a local hero, and lived in the castle before he sold it to finance a crusade.

3 comments:

  1. NOW LIFE IS WORTH LIVING WITH THE HELP OF EDWARD JONES FINANCE {Jonesloanfinance@yahoo.com}

    Hello Every One, My Name is Trevor Cohen live in Texas and life is worth living comfortably for me and my family now. I really have never seen goodness shown to me this much in my life as i am a struggling Dad with three kids and i have been going through a serious problem as my son encountered a terrible accident last week, and the doctors states that he needs to undergo a delicate surgery for him to be able to walk again, and i could not afford the bill for his surgery then i went to the bank for a loan and they turn me down stating that credit score was bad, from there i run to my father and some of my freinds but they could not help, then when i was surfing through the net i came across a loan lender EDWARD JONES who provides loans at an affordable interest rate of 2% and i have been hearing about so many scams on the internet but at this time, in my desperate situation i had no choice than to give it a try and surprisingly it was all like a dream, i received a loan of $85,000.00 and i payed for my son surgery and thank GOD today he is okay and can walk. I could in turn start something profitable with the remaining amount and i said to my self that i will shout loud to the world of the wonders of GOD to me through this GOD fearing lender EDWARD JONES and i will advise anyone in genuine and serious need of loan to contact this GOD fearing Company via: Jonesloanfinance@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Mrs Aisha Mohamed, am a Citizen Of Qatar.Have you been looking for a loan?Do you need an urgent personal loan or business loan?contact Dr James Eric Finance Home he help me with a loan of $42,000 some days ago after been scammed of $2,800 from a woman claiming to been a loan lender but i thank God today that i got my loan worth $42,000.Feel free to contact the company for a genuine financial service. Email:(financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com) call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everybody,

    My name is Bhagwan Kumawzt by name and I live in the POLAND and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation get any kind of loan you need today, thank you, as you read greatest testimony of my life. with whatsapp+919667837169

    Testimony of a serious loan acquired, thank you very much Dr. Mark for your loan assistance of 100,000(US DOLLARS) without any upfront fee,that you give me. I will talk about your services to those around me who need a loan or financing. I am happy with the loan you have granted me Do not hesitate,if you need a loan and a real legit loan lender so just kindly contact him now and get your loan via:: markthomasfinanceltd@gmail.com whatsapp number: +919667837169

    Whats-App no +919667837169
    Company Name Ronnie Finance Ltd
    Dr. Mark Thomas

    ReplyDelete